The New Automotive Supply Chain
Traditional U.S. Automotive Stampers
- Make Parts to Print.
- Attempt to conform to material requirements and part print requirements with little knowledge of materials and processing.
- Do not have the capability to engage in Value Analysis/Value Engineering.
- Adversarial Relationships are often the norm.
- Typically have a fixed capability to do certain things and rarely go beyond existing skill sets.
- Few stampers have tooling design capability.
Automotive Supplier Market Leaders
- Accept responsibility and seek involvement in the creation, function, and cost of product.
- Have significant knowledge of materials and underlying manufacturing processes.
- Assume the role of VA/VE engineer and contribute to the generation of value and function.
- Relationships are based on shared goals and continuous improvement of products and processes.
- Seek to add value and move common goals of Customer-Supplier beyond existing skill sets and product offerings.